Thursday, March 30, 2006

update

So, Fife is ok for now, we have appointments soon, and hopefully all will be well.

I went to a play called "Celebrity Row" last night. Which was good, I would recommend it.

Here's what it is about:
"Four of America's most violent criminals are on death row. For one hour each day they have access to each other. Imagine what they might say. It's funnier than you think.

Fact: The most secure prison in America is ADX-Florence, a.k.a. Colorado Supermax, a.k.a. the Alcatraz of the Rockies. It once held The Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski, Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, Latin Kings gang leader Luis Felipe and World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yusef, all on the same floor, at the same time.

Fiction: In this brilliant, hilarious and free ranging epic, Itamar Moses {Outrage} imagines what might have transpired in the one hour a day that these prisoners were allowed access to each other. As seen through the eyes of the prison educator, Maze Carroll, these conversations morph into a humorous and excoriating examination of the freedoms we trade away for "security."

Thanks to PCPA

It was often a bit tiresome, but overall some interesting insights and provocative messages.

More interestingly, we stopped at Dixie, a pub downtown for a drink on our way home. As we were leaving, some jock/cap/tweaker decided he wanted a fight and pushed Steve into a wall. He had two other athletic friends with him. We talked our way out of being killed there, then walked to an area that was more populated. They followed us. So, we stopped at a club where there were some gigantic bouncers. At this point only the one, very aggressive fellow was following us and when we stopped, he walked past us. He didn't walk very far, and in an effort to make him go away, I threatened to call the cops, then called him some names and he went to get his friends. They all came back and followed us back and forth across the street as we tried to get into a bar that felt safe. Sadly, our options were McFaddens and whatever bar is across the street from there. Not such a good location. Finally we lost them, and were able to hop on the MAX before they knew where we had got off to.

Lesson: need to get me some pepper spray, and stay in my own neighborhood where it looks scary, but the people have the sense not to beat up people for no reason. Seems the real scary people are drugged-out frat boys.

3 comments:

great sandwich! said...

when i told my "certain acquaintance at the police department" i walked home from the max one night he gave me some cop strength pepper spray. says he likes his taser better anyway. it doesn't make the drunks' eyes red, so he can still put red eyes in his police report as pc for dui. i say i like my .357 better. you can have the pepper spray.

Scriptsaurus said...

I assume that you didn't get any pictures of them?

jkf said...

Sadly, no pictures. I was too busy with 911 entered, waiting only for the right moment to push the call button. Next time, I'll just call the cops and then take a picture. Perhaps I'll also have some pepper spray to take 'em out and keep them down while I wait.

I think a gun isn't such a good idea for me. Too many movies and video games would likely have me killing someone. The problem with that being the jail time. I think pepper spray would get me out sooner than a bullet in someone's head.