Friday, April 28, 2006

Your new attorney

It seems that in this past year, there have been a series of small events that have culuminated in me becoming an attorney. First, graduation from law school. That was nice, but not the end. Then the bar exam and resulting failure. Then another bar exam and resulting passing. Yesterday I traveled to Salem and was sworn in as a member of the Oregon State Bar. So, finally, it is official.

I may practice law.

Except I haven't paid my dues, nor gotten my bar number, etc. Seems that they don't want me ever to be very comfortable, rather to be apprehensive about the next step and whether I can continue to pass muster.

Well, the ceremony was lovely yesterday. I cried, again, with the feeling that FINALLY, the process is mostly over. I'm happy, and now no excuses lie between me and getting a job. Soon. Shannon and Nicole and Shannon's mom went with S and I. We had to each walk across the stage and say our name and school into the mic and then shake the hand of the Oregon Supreme Court Justice for a photo op, then another photo op at the end and later we took the oath to be honest attorneys. You can follow the journey on my flickr account.

Other news:
Off to Mexico on Cinco de Mayo for a week, and then a week in NYC. I'm excited to be getting out of town and travelling. I know I was on Vancouver Island for three weeks last September, but that travel bug is so deeply ingrained that I feel as though I've not been out of the house in years. I need to regenerate, and badly. And then come back and start my life of slavin away for the man. As long as they pay me.

We bought a kite. A friend had received one as a reward for passing the bar. It was so much fun that we bought a bigger one, the MIRAGE. Look it up. We've taken it out a couple of times, and found the best place to fly it. Unfortunately, the Couv kite club also knows the place. And they are kite-nazi's. They had taken over the whole field, with one woman threatening the breaking of our kites in the strong winds, while she took half the field for some lame kites that don't even do tricks. We found a corner of the field and slowly muscled into some of the better wind territory. We suck at flying. So, our kites take a nosedive and crash into the ground at regular intervals, to the great dismay of the "pros" that were there, and to our great amusement. Anyway, if you wanna fly a kite, don't do it near the racetrack until after 5:00 on Sundays. Unless you want free lessons from smug kite elitists.

We also finally broke out the bug gun/vacuum to capture a large bee that was trapped in our house. Works wonderfully, highly recommended. Too small however for the bird that was trapped in the house yesterday (all is well).

Contacts are lovely. I have a kind that I can leave in for 6 nights and then take out, clean and reuse for a month. I forget they are in and I love the fact that I just bought my first good pair of polarized sunglasses, Smiths, that look nice, protect my eyes and keep me from getting sun headaches. YEAY!

I also worked more on getting my fingernails dirty by more front yard landscaping. I transplanted a bunch of roses (like they will die), and other made other improvements, including mulching, and creating an area to grow corn and squash/pumpkins.

I'm working on the editing and saving of the photos. I'll place them into the flickr account and this posting, but later, cuz I'm tired of this, and I need to go trim some roses.

2 comments:

thugwithyoyo said...

Hilarious about the 'Couve kite-nazi elites. If I found myself in that scenario I would fly my string-severing boomerangs. And when the turdy kite-club would come to protest, I'd say "leave me alone buttfaces; you don't own the field!"

jkf said...

Oddly I ended up being the only crabby one. Everyone else in my group was thankful for the free (albeit lecherous) lessons. I was just irritated as hell that they would hog the field. I really need to come up with a clever bumpersticker (or a toll bridge). Though I have to say, a boomerang would be lovely. Better yet, perhaps I should develop a flame-throwing remote control airplane. Seeing their expensive and patriotic flags burning would be delicious.

It has made me aware of obsessions and the myriad sorts of them that everyone has. I guess taxes is mine, but not really. I like to think that I am obsessed with sex. That seems more healthy than kites or collecting stamps. Or perhaps a money-making obsession like real estate. Better, I could combine sex and money-making for a completely healthy hobby (and ultimate tax avoidance scheme).

But not kites, or birds or anything else that makes me a complete asshole to those that are trying to enjoy the field.