Wednesday, May 24, 2006

still a bit ill

seems that is often the title of posts....Still Sick. Lame.

So, last night I decide to go to the emergency room to get some tests done to determine whether I do have a kidney infection. 4 hours later, I was none the wiser....

Seemed a large group of traumas had been flown into Emmanuel Hospital. My biggest gripe is that the receptionist didn't just say from the get-go, "It's gonna be a LONG time, before you get in dearie." I would have left then, because if they know it is gonna be a long time, over and above the eternity that it usually takes in the ER, then I would have known. Instead, they encouraged me to sit tight and I'd be seen shortly.

Well, I was able to read the entire new Backpacker magazine twice, and I now know that for tent repairs, one should not use Duct tape, rather use masking tape, paper and some substance that binds it all together, then when dry, remove the masking tape. I think I'll still use Duct Tape.

In the meantime, there were all kinds of characters in the ER. One man, a Jehovah's Witness, thought it his duty to witness very loudly, and give legal advice to one girl, who was also unbalanced. I tried all I could not to make eye contact with anyone. Especially the Boston-accented idiot who locked his keys in his running car outside the entrance of the hospital, so lovely fumes kept wafting in. His wife was giving birth to his third and her fourth child. He was very loud on his cell phone.

There was dried blood on my chair.

My first trip to the bathroom was cut short when I had to notify housekeeping that someone had completely missed the toilet and pissed all over the one bathroom's floor.

The one nice person I met was desperately needing someone to talk to because her 31 year old son had been admitted having had a heart attack. His father had almost died of one at age 19. Well, ends up that she works at the "World Famous" Kenton Club, about a mile from my house, that come to find out it was the bar in which the gang hung during the movie "Kansas City Rollers." I was duly impressed, having recently seen the flick. Now I'm invited to visit her when she works, for a meal. I might just do that, one of the few times I may actually do what I say I will to a complete stranger.

She was nice, but I had to leave her to her own devices because a soccer clad man had just arrived in the ER. He was holding a bloody towel to his head. There was another fellow there that had been waiting since 5:00 (it was now 10:00), and a Russian woman that had been slumped in her chair since I arrived. So, feeling like I was in a movie where there is a planetary emergency and there are some annoying people in the ER with an ingrown toenail, I left.

I'm not sure if I'll go back today. I feel shitty still, but no real fever. So, unless the infection has spread to other areas, I think I might be ok. I'll let you know.

Other news: $300+ to joing the Bar association (mandatory) and another $1,000 to get malpractice insurance. BUMMER. I need a job.

And on that note, I'll sign off for today. I'm revamping my resume and have some job leads for which I have to draft cover letters.

hmmm, temp's at 100 again, perhaps it is time to work on the resume at the hospital. Wish me well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no doc in the boxes in portland? usually short wait times. hope you feel better