Friday, June 23, 2006

job hunt

So I guess an admonition I received about there being no jobs in Portland was about right. I'm still being patient as I can for several jobs to get back to me. But I still am looking for that perfect position (or any position that will pay something of a living wage, which is higher than most people because I have student loans that are HUGE).

Today's offerings: Salem (x2), Eugene, Newport (x2), Albany. And those are the ones in OR. Others I'll soon have to consider are: NYC, DC, VA, Maine.

Arrrrgh. Why, oh why did I go to law school? And why can I not locate a single acceptable position. I know, I could have studied a lot harder in law school and gotten great grades and stressed myself out even more than I did. But then I wouldn't have been remotely happy.

In other news, I've one section of the house painted, a lovely, creamy yellow. Tough going though, because I have to do it all myself. I do have that lovely sprayer which I was able to use yesterday to crank out a section. Yeay. But the scraping and the sanding. Blah.

We also stained all the millions of boards for the new fence that we will attempt to install on Sunday. Should be fun on a hangover, as we have poker on Sat. night, and I'm determined to get better than 3rd place this time. I needs the cash. We're also looking at the cabin up near Trapper Creek on Saturday. Hopefully we can find enough folks to purchase a share so we can afford it. Though I'm not too optimistic, as we already have a bit of strife involving one person's dislike of dogs (though they have a kid that still wets the bed). I swear, dog owners and parents are the most self-absorbed and inconsiderate sorts. Drive me crazy.

I'm gonna suggest that I get to bring my cats up just to piss them all off.

Good news: resolution with the white trash neighbors behind us. The ones that plague us with their light. They came over last weekend playing all nice and replaced the two bare bulbs with a shade they had purchased. In return we cut down the branches of the hazelnut that were over their yard. Then night came and we realized the light was 5 times worse than it had been before. So, we bought them a proper set of lights and I went over to the lion's den one afternoon. They haven't replaced the existing one yet, but they have had the light off for 3 consecutive nights. YEAY! The best part is now I know how to deal with them. I thought they were mean and vindictive. Ends up that they are just dimwitted (evidenced by the fact that they hung the light fixture upside down, on purpose). That makes communication much easier.

Straw dogs is a great movie. WOW. Dustin Hoffman again, acting all wimpy and then POW!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and susan george as his extremely fetching wife. its always the quiet ones isn't it

jkf said...

And she was right all along. Lesson guys, is listen to that feminine intuition.

Scriptsaurus said...

Stick with it sweets. You'll get lucky with patience. Which brings me to my other comment. I'm onto you so watch out tonight.

great sandwich! said...

i'll be able to help paint if you do any of that this weekend.

great sandwich! said...

oh, and straw dogs is one of my favorite peckinpahs--after the wild bunch of course.

great sandwich! said...

oh, and straw dogs is one of my favorite peckinpahs--after the wild bunch of course.