Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mexico and NYC

I have all the photos up. I've labeled some of them. Most I have not. I don't care anymore.

The trip rundown:
week one in Mexico, hotter than hell. Beautiful beaches and water blue and clear. Playa del Carmen on the Yucatan peninsula. Side trips to Tulum and Coba, to see Mayan ruins. Go to Coba, where you can still climb a ruin that is larger than Chichen Itza (take that, you assholes who got to go to Mexico in highschool).

Found an amazing unmarked beach that serves as a turtle sanctuary. Waves were huge and we body surfed ourselves sore. No one else on the beach.

We met the in-laws there, had a large apartment (with our own room), which made it more tolerable. I had my breakdown on day 3, which meant everyone was nice to me after that. Lots of good food, though mostly too touristy and expensive for my tastes. But I didn't have to pay for it.

Made a hellish mistake two nights before we left and ate a Caesar salad. Raw egg and lettuce. Never eat vegetables or fruits unless you can peel them, because they wash them in regular water. I also found out at the clinic when I got back, that guacamole and pico de gallo are the leading culprits of traveler's diarrhea. So, it could have been anything, but that salad sure made me feel like crap. Horrible heartburn in Mexico too.

So, sick as a dog and on my second week in:
NYC, Brooklyn to be precise.

We stayed with the brother and sister-in-law. They have a penthouse on the 11th floor, which meant that I had an amazing panaramic view of brooklyn, and to the right, I could see a pretty clear statute of liberty. On the roof, one could see more of Manhattan.

We did all the touristy things: MOMA, the Natural History Museum, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, walked everywhere, dim sum in Chinatown, insanity in Times Square, used the Subway endlessly, Central Park. We also went to NJ one day to a Six Flags, where they currently have the world's tallest rollercoaster, which was not operating. They had enough other rides however, to keep me scared for the entire day.

I thought NYC would be dirty and scary and I would hate it. It is however a wonderful city. The best food I've ever had. Amazingly efficient driving and walking and living. I forgot how much I missed truly big cities (mostly European for me). NYC felt like I could live there (if I could afford it, and they had more grass).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story of NY inspires me. I really want to visit it, but am worried it will be dirty and scary and smelly.