Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Movies

Superman Returns: good entertainment value. Might suggest watching Superman III first, because there were somethings I didn't understand, having not seen III in 20 years (my am I getting old). Go to the non-McMinniman's in St. John's. They are showing it upstairs. Lovely theater.

Truffaut's 400 Blows: lovely film. Beautiful and captivating. The cinematography is what always gets me in a film, and this one looks like Jules et Jim and Delicatessen all wrapped up in black and white. T. has an eye for black and white film the likes of which I've rarely seen.

Chicago: enough to seal the deal for me on musicals. Nevermore. I thought it was merely annoying and then Richard Gere showed up. I couldn't finish it without fastforwarding through most of it.

Magnificent Seven: I recently watched the very long Seven Samaurai on which the Magnificent Seven is based. And you can't keep me away from my boy, Steve McQueen. Also, James Coburn is wonderful (watch Charade if you haven't, wonderful suspense). In short, a great western and a good adaptation of the original. Looks like they might be remaking it again. Watch the extras on the MS DVD.

Possible employ. I'll let you know tomorrow. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

great sandwich! said...

it's been years since i saw 400 blows. i was on a truffaut kick 'round 97. i watched 7 samarai around the same time, but i was a kid the last time i saw mag 7--but the theme song is forever melded into my brain. i should watch all of those again soon.