Monday, January 16, 2006

a good weekend

"Did you get any odd phone calls?"

"What, from you?"

"No, anything weird, from anyone weird?"

"You mean from Jared? Was that you? I was SO pissed that he kept calling, twice a day, and I always had to call back and ask to have it cancelled."

It was funnier in person, I was on the floor and peeing my pants. If you missed the Jared prank phone call idea, look here. I don't really feel too bad about it, it was highly amusing.

And then I made myself ill again, by mixing liquor and ibuprofen. My stomach bleeding all day Saturday, I finally went to the store and discovered the miracle that is Pepto-Bismol. After a day of agony, the soothing pink liquid (plus some lemon-ginger Tazo tea to wash it down), made me feel like a new woman.

Well enough in fact to go cross-country skiing on Sunday. What a hell of a lot of fun! I have a much better hang of things this time, having learned about the edges of the skis and how to use them for better traction. I'm also able to look up when going downhill, rather than look at my skis, which keeps me from falling quite as much.

We had a rather strenuous hike up into Mt Hood, and then quite a long and challenging downhill out. Several parts of which I was going so fast that I scared myself. I do need to learn how to do that sliding sideways stop that they do on TV, and become more fluid going back and forth (instead of my current method of tucking and pointing my skis straight downhill, for max. speed). On one especially steep hill, I used the plow technique to go slow, but hit a bump and did an amazing fall just like on TV, legs and skis and me and snow all in one flying debris pile. All is well. In fact, Steve had the only injury of the day, his wrist got a bit banged up.

I will definitely go again as soon as possible. An amazing rush. I felt like Roger Moore.

No comments: