Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Update: in the groove

Ok, it's all falling into place, but first:

Skiing on Sunday kinda sucked. We went back to the first place that I had skied, Snow Bunny at Mt. Hood. Sadly, it was earlier in the day, and thus there were millions more people, including two couples with rabid dogs. Rabid dogs have to be put on leashes. Anyone with a dog knows that factors of dominance change greatly when one dog is put on a leash. They become much more defensive while the unleashed dog (Fife) becomes more aggressive. Fife normally will roll over for just about any dog (except dogs that are too close to mom or dad, he's a pretty damn fine dog). So, add skis into the mix and there was a lot of Three Stooges action going on. Besides all the obnoxious people, the snow was pretty sticky, and we didn't have any spray wax, so the entire uphill was tougher than usual (even worse, I tried thicker socks and tighter lacing, which I thought would fix the sloppy feeling I had the week before. It only made me have blisters). The downhill wasn't nearly as fast and exciting as it could have been. It was, however, exercise.

With my switching to Firefox, I've decided to go all open source. OpenOffice is downloading and Linux will soon follow. Even better, Steve has been learning how to run servers, thus my website might soon be up, and since I'm sure the hits won't be that many, we'll be able to run it off our own server. Sweet.

And what did I do before I discovered widgets? And I'm not talking about the legal fiction. These things are what make a computer friendly. Now, well after the bar, I'll start making my own, so that I can have the perfect computer. Between that and all this open source stuff, I'll finally be able to manipulate the computer to my exact liking. The thought gives me chills.

And, studying for the bar. Today I'm shifting into 4th gear. I have 4 weeks before the bar exam. I have a detailed plan which consists entirely of practice exams. 3 hour shifts, 3 shifts per day. Two shifts are writing essays and one is multiple choice for the multi-state. I have to do some research as to whether I'm typing the exam on my laptop or writing the exam, it all depends on the editing features of the program I have to use.

I no longer have the need to sleep. I go to bed with my civil procedure notes and fall asleep at 2:00, only to wake at 4:00, then sleep from 5-6 and lie awake until I realize I should make use of the time, out of bed at 7:00. Should be one hella interesting four weeks. No smoking, drinking, or sleeping. I am, however, eating rather well, and am making sure to only work one three hour shift on Sunday.

Other than that, I know Steve and I are looking forward to this being over and the job search getting started. Those student loan bills are HUGE! Not to mention the consumer debt, which is getting larger by the minute.

I wanted a challenge, so I went to law school. I got what I asked for and then some.

Update to the update: OpenOffice may not be happening just yet. I have made an initial attempt, and realized that I have had 3 years of heavy Word use that has created a highly tuned and finely crafted setup (and that's just law school. I did have 5 years as an undergrad don't you forget) . OpenOffice looks like chaos, and most importantly, will not easily allow my blue background that has saved my vision from degenerating below -4.25.

I'll not be using OO anytime soon, perhaps not until I hang my shingle out there for the world (don't worry, won't be anytime soon).

3 comments:

thugwithyoyo said...

Whoa... I think I'm gonna take a look at Open Office. I hate all things Microsoft, but I did have to break down and get a student version of MS Office so that I could craft my talk. Do you have any idea if it would run on OS X? After all, UNIX (a Linux relative) is in the background running everything anyway..!

Man, to be done with grad school (eg. law school in your case). That is such the distant future for me I can't even fathom it. Oh well. You may be in debt now, but you have a good chance at a good job. I prolly won't be too much in debt when I'm done, but then my primary employment option will be post doctoralships... yay, now that'll be livin' large.

jkf said...

You should use it, you can open all your Word documents with it. I'm sure (though not certain) that OS X would work with it. I've noticed that most of these renegade applications are created by Apple fans, and later adapted for MS users.

I'm gettin some LINUX today, cuz I certainly have time for distractions.

Yeah, it all sucks, debt or no debt, there is that job tradeoff. And grad school is just created to make you hate it. I wish only that I would have gone the night school route. Perhaps then I would have given more of a shit about each individual class, and worked. Likely that would have sucked too. Bollocks.

Anonymous said...

TWY: yes, there is an OO version that works on X.

JKF: Your plan sounds perfect. I wish you the best of luck in the next month. HOME STRETCH!!!!!!

And now, here's a word from our sponsors:

whom next fire. why gym drew different pride gym. similar latter explain wanted,
not reply slow you. different young teach nothing studied parents? we he across side.
letters the very teach night.
thats corner similar back,
development goes mischievous the. a disappoint prison beautiful side or?