Friday, February 10, 2006

Amazing spam!

I received an email, from the "IRS." And, well, you know me...

They want me to click on the link to see where my refund is. Smelling a rat, I went fishing....

Their site is amazing. Here's the address: http://www.irs.gov/whereismyrefund/
Looks real, with a different address when you hover. The site itself is wonderful, creating the exact look and feel of the IRS site. Except a few things that are a bit different. Namely, the top is cropped off and the main logo doesn't have a hyperlink to the main site. All the other buttons actually take you to the IRS site. Brilliant. The best part is the information they ask for:

First Name::
Last Name :
Social Security Number:
Credit Card Number :
Expiration Date:
ATM PIN: ( 4 digits code )


You have to do a side-by-side comparison (here's the real site) to see how well done this phishing expedition is, but I cannot figure out how to do screen shots right now. And I won't because I'm back to the books.

No comments: