Tuesday, July 19, 2005

This country

25,000 civilians' killed in Iraq

The roommate and I were discussing this issue the other day, that we as a nation are all in dismay over the loss of 50 or so lives in London. (Pardon if my numbers are wrong, I'm a bit busy these days.) Any loss of life is tragic. However, the very next day, 100 people died in a blast, and the day before, children, and the day before and after, many more. So, now these numbers. Do we care? No, we are racist and xenophobic. How many have we lost as a country, compared to being responsible for more than 7,500 of these deaths?

Another part of that discussion was in regard to those that live in countries that are killing in the name of Nationalism. That is what we are doing. Yet, the average citizen hasn't the ability to do a whole hella lot about it. So, please, history, do not judge me as harshly as most ignorant people judge the Germans citizens.

This is why I went to law school. To try and gain the skills that will allow me to affect some sort of change. Wish me luck.

Nothing funny to write about today.

No comments: