Monday, August 29, 2005

Hello


Long weekend, but a good one. We went up to the north side of Mt. Adams, to camp with some friends. It was quite lovely to hang out next to a lake and enjoy the fresh air and scotch. On Saturday, Steve and I went on a grueling (3,000 feet in 3ish miles) 7 hour hike, that took us almost to the edge of the glacier of Mt. Adams. I did one of the dumbest things of my life (the kind of thing I make fun of Steve for having done in the past): we were looking for a lake at 7,500ft, and thought it must be just over that scree. Well, it wasn't, and the trip I took up and down the extremely angled hill was enough to make my legs shake, as even the very large boulders were not at all secure. That I escaped with no broken limbs was a bit of a miracle.

The next day was spent lounging until I just lost all interest in the beautiful Council Lake that I wanted to go to because I was so exhausted. I slept in the car while the others swam.

Then on to home, shopping for our next trip and I actually went to bed before 11:00. Slept for 12 hours. Today will be picking up the pieces and trying to determine where we are going on our trip that will last 3 weeks and starts on Thursday of this week. It is so cold at night in these mountains, that we're just not so sure about heading up north anymore. Perhaps southern Utah? We'll see.

Photos soon to be loaded...Here they are, enjoy!

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Those pics of last wknd are fantastic - wow.

And all I can say about your idea of Southern Utah is that you definitely won't be disappointed. Between Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Arches, Moab, etc., there's more than enough to do for 2-3 weeks. And the drive wouldn't be horrible - 16-18 hrs from PDX.

thugwithyoyo said...

My former illustrius officemate and I, in the early pre-hatred days of our relationship, hiked up a good portion of Mount Addams. We rented and wore these, must have been 10 pounds or so, snow shoes that didn't allow for any ankle movement. While supportive, the were quite debilitating. Inspite of those, we probably still would have made it, except we had to stop because he began to experience, and I quote, "altitude sickness". It wasn't altitude sickness; he worked himself too hard by showing off how quickly he could hike up the mountain. He was green and about to vomit before he finally gave in.

Here's to pride!