Tuesday, April 26, 2005

That Joan Baez

Copying Thugblog's lyric posting idea, I was listening to my ipod shuffle and had to track down the lyrics to one of the most horrible songs I have ever heard. Evidently it was on the soundtrack to Life Aquatic.

(Lyrics by Joan Baez, Music by Ennio Morricone)
Here's to you, Nicola and Bart
Rest forever here in our hearts
The last and final moment is yours
That agony is your triumph

That's it, repeated too many times, in what M calls a funeral dirge. It's bad. I'm curious what it was written about, but I would like to adopt it as my final semester law school theme.

Holler and I'll send it to you, you (all) have to hear it.

2 comments:

thugwithyoyo said...

hmm... yes that does indeed seem to be quite bad. I confess that I read the passage three times and the meaning/significance of it completely escapes me. I suppose it would help if I knew who exactly Nicola and Bart were. I'm sure the fact that that verse is all there is to the song makes it all the worse. Anyway, I'd be interested in having a listen to it.

thugwithyoyo said...

...Listened to it. Musically it's boring and pretty much sux (I did like the 60's-esque-Along-the-Watchtower drumbeat however). Lyrically, I'm puzzled. Why does Joan choose to the sing about the perceived mistrial of two Italian immigrant anarchists? I guess to show how unjust our legal process can be. Is anarchy in alignment with the 60's free love ideology. Must be! FIGHT the MAN and SMASH the SYSTEM. I'd more expect that song to be from late seventies Punk rockers.