Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A tutorial on RSS and Atom

Because I like sharing the cool things I figure out:

I like to look at several different websites everyday to see if they have been
updated. There is a much easier way to do this than clicking on each one. Here's how:

First, one must have a feed reader. Google now has one and it is amazingly easy to figure out. First, go to www.google.com. In the upper right hand corner, click on "Personalized home." Set up an account.

Then, click on the button in the upper left hand corner that says "add content." This will show you a stock list of news/entertainment/etc feeds that are interesting, click to add what you like.

Third, and this is the good part, click on "create a section." This will allow you to add any site that has a published rss or atom feed. Any blog on blogspot has an atom feed (if the owner has turned it on). If you look to the left of this post, under "My Shit" you'll see "my atom feed." To add my site to your Google homepage, simply right click on "my atom feed" to "copy the shortcut" and insert in the box on the Google "create a section" input box. There you have it, the section will be titled Drunken and will allow you to see the most recent posting, or will save you effort if I haven't yet posted.

Have fun, and holler if you have any questions.

P.S. If you have a blog...let me in on your site feed (look in settings, and turn it on "full").
Update: seems the Google/reader is still in the beta stage, and may not work so very fast just yet. However, the ease of having all things in one place, will make this a wonderful system as soon as the bugs are worked out.

4 comments:

thugwithyoyo said...

NicE!!! Dude, I'm gonna hook up my blog.

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://xfgwqwkb.com/hwdz/awhu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://igwkbkwi.com/xdsx/knvc.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://xfgwqwkb.com/hwdz/awhu.html | http://zpelbypu.com/gevi/udgl.html